Friday, June 8, 2007

Hoot

Amy called from work last night, "A baby owl has fallen from a tree. I have it in a box, and have the address for a woman who can help. I'm coming home to get you so that you can help me find this place. I'll be there in a few minutes. Get Owen and the camera."

It was quite an adventure! Indeed, in the heavy winds last night this little baby owl fell from a tree. Amy said the owl's parents were up in the tree watching as members of the staff at Amy's nursing home got the owl in a box and Amy did the work of finding someone who could help. (When in doubt, ask the social worker; she'll do anything ...) They were unable to help their little baby, who would have been killed by predators if it had been left alone.
Amy brought the owl home. It was still a baby, with a downy coat and unable to feed itself. Owen thought he was wonderful! Aunt Pam said he spent his pre-bed time talking about his new owl friend. We took some pictures and let Owen have a good look before packing the owl into the car and driving the some 15 miles to the animal rescue lady.

And what an experience that was. We drove up to her rural home which was surrounded by probably 20 cats. There were animal pens everywhere. One held close to a dozen baby raccoons. When she let us in to her basement, she was feeding a baby deer with a bottle. There were another 20 cages with everything from possums, to birds, more deer, and a pair of owls who now have a new roommate. It seemed this woman's whole life was spent rehabilitating abandoned wild animals. She seemed overwhelmed, under-hygienic (the bare feet, blender of mice meat ... ew!), but completely capable. She told us that with the help of one volunteer she has taken care of animals like this for 25 years.

I will never complain about my job again ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I guess Amy is now an animal as well as human social worker!
My friend Dawn is leaving her position at the same office I worked in to go back and get a degree to become an animal rescue worker. I shared this story with her and she was very interested! I agree that the mice in a blender would be something to get acustom to - I just hope that blender is only used for that purpose:)