Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Getting on top of it

What nice kids.

Maya has been very clingy lately. Hopefully suffering through the last of winter's colds, and still working on those teeth, she's been requiring a lot of holding and cuddling the past few nights. Amy and I took shifts with her Monday night, each of us earning about 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep apiece. Last night I fell asleep with her in the recliner in her room. We stayed pretty comfortable until 3 am when she was WIDE AWAKE. The good news is that she was just hungry.


She had no appetite at bedtime, so it really was kind of sweet to bring her downstairs and find her some food. She flashed her big smile at me and all but went horizontal to reach out to the food when I put it on the table.

Still, I had to feel a little like I'd just flown business class to Paris, enjoying a yogurt in off hours after five hours in a reclining chair.

The kids had a nice weekend with a visit from Grandpa and Nana Aalberts on Saturday. The weather was warm and they enjoyed their time out and about. It also gave Amy an opportunity to run some errands, which I know she enjoyed.

I was in Sioux City, IA, this weekend, judging a show choir competition at Sioux City East High School. It was my third trip there as a judge and, as always, it was a fun, but busy day.

I left on Friday morning, allowing some extra time to take a slight detour through Sanborn, IA, where my Grandpa and Grandma Reinsma lived. I realized as I was driving into the area that I hadn't been there since 1998.

I drove there to pay a visit to my grandparents' dear friends Jim and Jessie Postma. The Postmas have always had a special place in our hearts, and it was wonderful to see them for the first time since they came to Amy and my wedding ceremony in 2000.


Owen, meanwhile, has been doing great in school. His teachers love him and yesterday, for the second time in as many weeks, he earned the award for being the best helper at cleaning up.





It gives us hope considering how he looked after a pudding the other night.

No comments: