Friday, November 14, 2008

24-23

It's been ages since my last post, and much has happened.

A week ago today, Amy, Owen, Maya, and I went to Iowa City to visit Amy's parents and meet up with my folks. The cornerstone of the weekend was the Iowa vs. Penn State football game, arguably the best football game either my Dad or I had ever seen live. Penn State came into the game undefeated, but walked out losers after a last second field goal put Iowa on top. More photos and video will undoubtedly follow, but if this doesn't get my dad's heart healthy as a prelude to his surgery this coming Monday, nothing will.

Except for maybe this.

Iowa football was very good to the Aalberts family last weekend. Calling on some of my old UI friends (thanks again, Janis!) I was able to make contact with Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz' office and get this for Dad.

Ferentz inscribed the ball, "Keep your heart beating for the Hawks. Best wishes and get well soon." Dad was delighted. And it helped add to the tremendous sense of optimism Dad and everyone else has for a for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Meanwhile, the rest of the family enjoyed time reading books and practicing their standing skills.





Maya is really a lady on the move. She's always wanting to walk and is standing well when she can hold onto something.

It made for a fun homecoming on Wednesday night. After the game, Mom, Dad, and I drove back to Normal so I could catch a flight to Houston on Sunday morning. I went to Houston for the National Arts Marketing Project, a terrific conference I attended in Miami last year. It was fun to attend some great sessions, meet new people, and see old friends, including my friend Abby, who I used to work with at the BCPA.

But it was even better getting home and reconnecting with my little people here. Boy, did I miss them!

No comments: