Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Corn Update: Week 16 ... plus a Marathon weekend

It was cold and drizzly last night. Owen said -- and rightly so -- "I don't want to go out to the corn."

So this week's picture comes to you from inside the car. The corn is barely visible through the back window. If you listen carefully, you'll hear it saying, "Pick me."

Lots going on this weekend. We all drove to Indianapolis on Friday, meeting up with Grandpa, Nana, and Uncle Daniel for Saturday's Indianapolis Marathon. It was a very fun weekend, giving us time to celebrate Daniel's birthday (I forgot to give you a couple of things, Daniel -- they're on the way), and watching Owen have a hoot of a time exploring the loft area of our room at the Marriott Residence Inn.
Let me tell you, the stairs at our house are nowhere as good.

The race was also fun. I finished 53rd overall in a time of 3:08.41. The best part of the morning, though, was seeing the family about a tenth of a mile from the end and bringing Owen in with me for the finish.
When I ran up, he was ringing a little cow bell another spectator had given him. I said "Come on, run with me," and saw him follow me into the street. Then I looked back to see him stuck there by the side of the road. At first I thought he had lost his nerve and wasn't going to run with me, but it became clear quickly that he was trying to figure out what to do with the bell. He was just standing there by the curb, looking for a place to set it down. Finally, he just threw it, kind of like a sandwich on which you'd just found mold, and turned to run with me.


The last .1 was joyous. He was so focused and it was wonderful to give him a hug at the end.

Of course, Dad was sweaty, so, after lots of hugs, both kids needed a good bath when we got home.

Thanks to everyone for cheering me on.

Before I go, another highlight for me last week. Last Thursday the BCPA hosted Ian Moore, probably one of my top two or three musicians of all time, in our BCPA Underground series. His concert was great. And I enjoyed about 15 minutes with him at the end of the night, where he autographed all eight of his CDs and stood with me for this picture.

Very cool.

No comments: